Wellness Wednesday Tip #1: Clean out your Refrigerator! Have you looked in there lately? I mean, REALLY looked? It’s time to toss all of the homemade cookies and treats, as well as all of the party leftovers! The best way to get a grip on your fridge is to simply take everything out. Once the food is out, wipe down the inside (and outside) of the refrigerator. Here are a few hints:
- Leftovers are only good for about 4 days. Toss or freeze anything that was made more than 3 days ago!
- Toss as you go. Don’t think about it.
- When in doubt, toss it out!! If you can’t remember when you opened that jar of pickles, toss it. Many items like these (and condiments) do not have expiration dates. Use your best judgment.
- Group together condiments so you are aware of what you have. Do you really need 4 bottles of mustard?
- Make a grocery list as you go of the items that you might want to refresh. Item 1 might be a new box of baking soda.
- Fill your fridge with fresh healthy choices.
- Consider using a Sharpie to mark the date you opened items that do not have an expiration date.
- You don’t have to do this kind of overhaul all the time. Take 10 minutes once a week to clean out leftovers, and wipe up any spills.